The Consumer Rights Reporting Awards (CRRA) is a major activity co-organised by the Consumer Council, Hong Kong Journalists Association and Hong Kong Press Photographers Association. The Awards is aimed at raising the general public’s awareness of consumer rights and to award excellence in press coverage of consumer rights issues and concerns, for the enhancement of consumer empowerment and fair market in Hong Kong.
From its inception in 2001, the Awards has evolved over time. It has accepted entries from web-based media starting from the 17th Awards to recognise journalism in its many forms. As the CRRA will celebrate its 20th Anniversary in 2020, a Grand Award has been added as recognition specifically for the most outstanding journalistic report of the year. A cash prize of HK$10,000 will be awarded to the winner.
- The Awards is open to journalists, whether directly employed or freelancers, in print, broadcast or web-based media, whose primary audience or readership is based in Hong Kong.
- Students in local higher education institutes are eligible to submit their works for the Campus category.
- Textual contents (News / Features / Commentaries)
- Textual contents (Investigative)
- Audio production
- Audio-visual production (Short clips with duration of 3 mins or below)
- Audio-visual production (Long clips with duration of 3 mins above)
- Press Photo
- All entries must have had its initial publication or broadcast between 1 January and 31 December 2019.
- Entries can be in print, broadcast, web-based media or wire services formats, and in either Chinese or English.
- Web-based media includes both online-only platforms and affiliated online publications those owned by media organisations or in partnership with them. The media should engage primarily in news and public affairs, disseminate information to the general public; and publish news content at least five days a week.
- Both journalists and media outlets may submit entries.
- Entries may be based on the work of one journalist or a group.
- Submit entry in one category only, even though its content may integrate a variety of formats, for example, text features, audio, photography, or audio-visual.
- Any series of works must demonstrate a clear theme of coverage and contain no more than 3 entries.
- Fill in online entry form to complete the application:
- Each entry must be submitted with a completed entry form and with the following formats:
|Format of the Entry||Requirements|
|Text entries||– An original clipping (digital in PDF or prints) must be included in the entry|
|Audio Entries||– Must be saved in MP3 or WAV format
– Must include a transcript
|Audio-visual Entries||– Must be saved in WMV or MPEG format
– Must include a transcript
|Photo Entries||– Must be in JPG format and not larger than 5MB
– Must include a caption or brief description
|Online Entries||– Must provide relevant URLs and must be submitted in PDF format. Websites requiring passwords must provide a single username and password to be used by the judges. It is up to the entrant to ensure that judges are able to access URLs during the judging period (April to July 2020)
- Please upload the digital files of the text, audio, audio-visual, press photo and web-based entries to the following link: http://bit.ly/2LtqzfL
- Please mail print entries to the following address:
22/F K. Wah Centre, 191 Java Road, North Point, or
Hong Kong Journalists Association
Flat A, 15/F, Henfa Commercial Building, 348-350 Lockhart Road, Wanchai.
- Judging of entries will be conducted from April to July 2020. The judging is a rigorous three-stage process of initial screening, preliminary judging and final judging.
- Entries regardless of format, writing style and presentation will be assessed and adjudicated based on the same footing and the set of criteria adhering to the highest journalistic principles, i.e. honesty, accuracy, fairness and transparency.
- Entries must be original journalistic works and related to consumer issues.
Panel of Judges
- Francis LEE Lap-fung, Director, School of Journalism and Communication
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- FU King-wa, Assistant Professor, Journalism and Media Studies Centre
The University of Hong Kong
- Simon FUNG Shing-cheung, former Executive Editor-in-Chief,
Ming Pao Daily News
- CHAN Shu-mei, May, BBS, JP, Special Advisor to the Chairman,
Hong Kong Commercial Broadcasting Limited
- WONG Wing-hang, Chairman,
Hong Kong News Executives’ Association
Audio and Visual
- Kaman LEE Ka-man, Associate Professor of Practice and Associate Head,
Department of Journalism and Communication, Hong Kong Shue Yan University
- Bonnie CHIU Lai-yu, Associate Head and Senior Lecturer,
Department of Journalism, School of Communication, Hong Kong Baptist University
- YEUNG Pak-yin, Committee Member,
- Hong Kong Press Photographers Association
- CHOW Chi-kin, Committee Member,
Hong Kong Press Photographers Association
- Peter KWAN Wai, Professor of Practice, Department of Journalism and Communication, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
Sustainable Consumption Award
- Clara SHEK, Co-opted Member, Publicity & Community Relations Committee,
Consumer Council (2015-2017)
Representatives from Organisers and Co-organisers
- Paul LAM Ting-kok, SC, Chairman, Consumer Council
- Antonio KWONG Cho-shing, MH, Vice-chairman, Consumer Council
- Chris YEUNG Kin-hing, Chairperson, Hong Kong Journalists Association
- SHAM Yee-lan Former Chairperson, Hong Kong Journalists Association (2013-2017)
- CHENG Ming-yan, Veteran Journalist, Hong Kong Journalists Association
- The 20th Anniversary Grand Award has been newly added to honour the most outstanding journalistic report of the year. Based on the social impact of the reports, the winner will be selected amongst the top three highest-scored reports across seven categories to win the prize money of HK$10,000.
- Awards and Certificate of Merit will be presented to winners of each category. A cash prize of HK$3,000 will be presented to the Gold Award winners of each category, a cash prize of HK$2,000 for the Silver Award winners, a cash prize of HK$1,000 for the Bronze Award winners and a cash prize of HK$500 for the Merit Award Winners. A certificate will be awarded to selected entries.
- A cash prize of HK$2,000 will be awarded to each of the five winners of the Sustainable Consumption Awards in Text, Audio, Audio-Visual, Press Photo and Campus entry categories. A certificate will be awarded to selected entries.
- The winners will be announced at the prize presentation ceremony held in July 2020.
- The awards and prizes will be given to individuals, not organisations.
- The organizers reserve the right for the final interpretation of all rules and regulations of the Awards and the right to reject or disqualify any entries.
- The panel of judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a category if they believe entries are of insufficient quality. Their decisions are final.
- To the extent permitted by law, the organizers shall not be liable for any loss, damages, expenses and claims directly or indirectly arising from or in connection with the 20th Consumer Rights Reporting Awards.
- The above rules shall be governed by the laws of the Hong Kong SAR.
- In case of conflicts or discrepancies between the English version and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.
Tel : 2856 8569 (Amy Cheung)
Email : [email protected]
Address : 22/F, K.Wah Centre, 191 Java Road, North Point