HKFP’s reporter will monitor local developments, write hard news stories, attend press conferences, court sessions and protests, and will ensure we are keeping ahead with under-reported issues and are breaking news ahead of other outlets. They will also be expected to pitch original features and story ideas, support fellow staff members and complete occasional production tasks.
• English-language fluency and the ability to read Chinese are essential.
• Familiarity with the Hong Kong political beat and an eye for news are a must.
• Candidates should ideally have knowledge of who’s-who in local politics, as well as some understanding of how the government, legislature and judicial system work.
• Candidates should be self-directed, full of story ideas and have the ability to write hard news stories with accuracy and speed.
• The ideal candidate would have excellent initiative, time-management and must be a team player.
• Experience with WordPress, Trello, Figma, Premiere and Photoshop would be welcomed, whilst photography and video skills, knowledge of the law, social networking, SEO and analytics would be a bonus.
• Candidates must have the right to work – and be based – in Hong Kong.
Remuneration and benefits:
HKFP sets, and often exceeds, industry standards when it comes to pay, conditions, benefits and work-life balance.
• We offer a competitive starting salary ranging between HK$20-30K/month depending upon experience, skills and qualifications. Annual appraisals lay out speedy pathways to promotions, pay rises and more responsibility.
• 14-days of leave per annum in the first year, rising to 21 days in the third contract, in addition to all Hong Kong public and statutory holidays.
• Three months maternity and paternity leave.
• International healthcare, dental and physio coverage.
• Mental health support options.
• A secure work laptop, work phone and VPN.
• Monthly Uber credit.
• Staff receive occasional bonuses, as well as Hong Kong Journalists Association membership.
• All staff enjoy weekly opportunities to work remotely from home, or abroad.
• HKFP staff enjoy the many benefits of working at the Hive co-working space.
How to apply:
If you meet our requirements, email your CV, covering letter, and an original feature story idea to [email protected] – in your covering letter, please tell us about yourself, why you would like to work with us and how you fit the requirements.
Deadline: Thursday, March 17, 2022.
All applications are read and considered. Successful applicants will be contacted within a week. HKFP’s recruitment process includes an interview, written tests, reference checks and trial sessions. We encourage applications from candidates from minority backgrounds.