For membership renewal, please click here.
HKJA Membership Application Guidelines
A. Membership Categories
|Category¹||Rights/Welfare||Documents required for application²|
|I.||Full Members: Those earning the majority of their income from journalistic work. Journalistic work for this purpose is defined as employment as a journalist, photographer, artist or other position on newspapers, periodicals, domestic and international news agencies, radio, television or digital news platforms; as a full time freelancer (those who have worked as a freelance journalist for at least one year consecutively or who can provide confirmation from a media outlet or other institution that he/she is receiving an income from journalism, or that he or she is freelancing in an interim period having left a permanent position in a news organisation); or as a person employed in the pre-service and in-service training of journalists, in Hong Kong.||
|II.||PR Members: Those employed in public relations and information services.||
|III.||Associate Members: Those who do not earn the majority of their income from journalism or as a journalist.||
|IV.||Trainee Members: Those training in journalism or serving a form of apprenticeship.||
|V.||Retired Members: A voting member who retires from the occupation on account of age or ill-health may, subject to the decision of the Executive Committee, become a retired member.||Participate in the benefits provided by the union|
¹ Please refer to the Constitution 3.2.
² Please also refer to Clause 3, 5, and 6 of the Procedures for Membership Application.
B. Membership Year and Membership Fee
- Membership last for one year;
- For Full / Associate / PR member applicant, the membership fee is HK$250 (including entrance fee of HK$50 and yearly subscription HK$200);
- The membership fee for Student member is HK$50 for a full year with entrance fee waived.
C. Procedures for Membership Application
- Applicants may scroll below to fill out the online application form, or may click here to download the membership application form in PDF format, and return the completed form and relevant documents to the HKJA via post or email. HKJA address: Flat A, 15/F., Henfa Comm. Building 348-350 Lockhart Road Wanchai, Hong Kong. HKJA email: [email protected].
- An applicant for membership must have the endorsement of an HKJA member.
- To ensure that membership meets the requirements of the Trade Unions Ordinance and the Constitution of the HKJA, applicants may be required to provide proof of income, if necessary.
- Applicants should provide bank slip/transaction proof with clear transaction date shown for application handling.
D. Press Card
- Only Full Members can apply for the HKJA Press Card and IFJ Press Card. The Executive Committee will consider and examine each application according to the job duties and journalistic work requirements of the applicant. Applicants may be required to provide additional information and documents to prove their working needs for a press card.
- For HKJA Press Card, the application fee is HK$50 and a JPEG format digital photograph is required. Please contact us for the application form.
- For IFJ Press Card, the application fee is HK$600. Please submit a JPEG format digital photograph and your HKID Card photocopy together with the application form. Please contact us for the form.
- HK$600. Please submit a JPEG format digital photograph and your HKID Card photocopy together with the application form. Please contact us for the form.
E. Terms & Conditions
- Members should abide by the rules set out in the HKJA constitution.
- Applicants should provide all the necessary documents together with the application form (refer to item A of this Guideline). Otherwise, the HKJA may not consider the application.
Membership Application Form
(Please complete in English BLOCK letters)