The 21st Consumer Rights Reporting Awards
The Consumer Rights Reporting Awards (CRRA) is a major activity co-organised by the Consumer Council, Hong Kong Journalists Association and Hong Kong Press Photographers Association. The Awards is aimed at raising the general public’s awareness of consumer rights and to award excellence in press coverage of consumer rights issues and concerns, for the enhancement of consumer empowerment and fair market in Hong Kong.
Since its inception in 2001, the Awards has evolved over time. It has accepted entries from web-based media starting from the 17th Awards to recognise journalism in its many forms. To further encourage the media in producing high-quality consumer news reports, the Grand Award with HK$10,000 cash prize to houour the most outstanding journalistic report of the year has become a permanent Award from the 21st CRRA onwards after its launch in 2020 as a special celebration of the 20th annivesary.
- The Awards is open to journalists, whether directly employed or freelancers, in print, broadcast or web-based media, whose primary audience or readership is based in Hong Kong.
- Students in local higher education institutes are eligible to submit their works for the Campus category.
- Textual contents (News / Features / Commentaries)
- Textual contents (Investigative)
- Audio production
- Audio-visual production (Short clips with duration of 3 mins or under)
- Audio-visual production (Long clips with duration of 3 mins above)
- Press Photo
- All entries must have had its initial publication or broadcast between 1 January and 31 December 2020.
- Entries can be in print, broadcast, web-based media or wire services formats, and in either Chinese or English.
- Web-based media includes both online-only platforms and affiliated online publications those owned by media organisations or in partnership with them. The media should engage primarily in news and public affairs, disseminate information to the general public; and publish news content at least five days a week.
- Both journalists and media outlets may submit entries.
- Entries may be based on the work of one journalist or a group.
- Submit entry in one category only, even though its content may integrate a variety of formats, for example, text features, audio, photography, or audio-visual.
- Any series of works must demonstrate a clear theme of coverage.
- Fill in online entry form to complete the application: http://bit.ly/crra21_entryform
- Each entry must be submitted with a completed entry form and with the following formats:
|Format of the Entry||Requirements|
|Text entries||– An original clipping (digital in PDF or print) must be included in the entry|
|Audio Entries|| – Must be saved in MP3 or WAV format
– Must include a transcript
|Audio-visual Entries||– Must be saved in WMV or MPEG format
– Must include a transcript
|Photo Entries||– Must be in JPG format and not larger than 5MB
– Must include a caption or brief description
|Online Entries||– Must provide relevant URLs and must be submitted in PDF format. Websites requiring passwords must provide a single username and password to be used by the judges. It is up to the entrant to ensure that judges are able to access URLs during the judging period (April to July 2021)
- Please upload the digital files of the text, audio, audio-visual, press photo and web-based entries to the following link: http://bit.ly/crra21_entryupload
- Please mail print entries to the following address:
22/F K. Wah Centre, 191 Java Road, North Point, or
Hong Kong Journalists Association
Flat A, 15/F, Henfa Commercial Building, 348-350 Lockhart Road, Wanchai.
- Judging of entries will be conducted from April to July 2021. The judging is a rigorous three-stage process of initial screening, preliminary judging and final judging.
- Entries regardless of format, writing style and presentation will be assessed and adjudicated based on the same footing and the set of criteria adhering to the highest journalistic principles, i.e. honesty, accuracy, fairness and transparency.
- Entries must be original journalistic works and related to consumer issues.
Panel of Judges
- Francis LEE Lap-fung, Director, School of Journalism and Communication
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Kevin FU King-wa, Assistant Professor, Journalism and Media Studies Centre
The University of Hong Kong
- Simon FUNG Shing-cheung, former Executive Editor-in-Chief,
Ming Pao Daily News
- May CHAN Suk-mei, BBS, JP, Special Advisor to the Chairman,
Hong Kong Commercial Broadcasting Limited
- WONG Wing-hang, Chairman (2018-2019)
Hong Kong News Executives’ Association
Audio and Visual
- Kaman LEE Ka-man, Associate Professor of Practice and Associate Head,
Department of Journalism and Communication, Hong Kong Shue Yan University
- Bonnie CHIU Lai-yu, Associate Head and Senior Lecturer,
Department of Journalism, School of Communication, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Representatives from Hong Kong Press Photographers Association
- Peter KWAN Wai, Professor of Practice, Department of Journalism and Communication, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
Sustainable Consumption Award
- Clara SHEK, Co-opted Member, Publicity & Community Relations Committee,
Consumer Council (2015-2017)
Representatives from Organisers and Co-organisers
- Paul LAM Ting-kok, SC, JP, Chairman, Consumer Council
- Antonio KWONG Cho-shing, MH, Vice-chairman, Consumer Council
- Chris YEUNG Kin-hing, Chairperson, Hong Kong Journalists Association
- SHAM Yee-lan Former Chairperson, Hong Kong Journalists Association (2013-2017)
- CHENG Ming-yan, Veteran Journalist, Hong Kong Journalists Association
- The 21st CRRA comprises 7 categories. There are Gold Award, Sliver Award, Bronze Award and Merit Award in each category. Winning entries of Gold, Silver, Bronze and Merit Award in each category will be presented a certificate and awarded cash prize of HK$3,000, HK$2,000, HK$1,000 and HK$500 respectively.
- The Grand Award will be chosen among the Gold Awards entries across 7 categories by the judging panel.
- A certificate and HK$2,000 cash prize will be awarded to the 5 winning entries of the Sustainable Consumption Awards selected from the categories of Text, Audio, Audio-Visual, Press Photo and Campus.
- The winners will be announced at the prize presentation ceremony held in July 2021.
- The awards and prizes will be given to individuals, not organisations.
- The organisers reserve the right for the final interpretation of all rules and regulations of the Awards and the right to reject or disqualify any entries.
- The organiser reserves the right not to give out any awards in a category if the panel of judges has decided that none of the entries has met the required award standard. Decisions of the judges shall be final.
- To the extent permitted by law, the organisers shall not be liable or made responsible for any loss, damages, costs, expenses or claims whether directly or indirectly arising from or in connection with the 21st Consumer Rights Reporting Awards.
- The above rules shall be governed by the laws of the Hong Kong SAR.
- In case of conflicts or discrepancies between the English version and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.
Organiser: Consumer Council
Tel : 2856 8569 (Amy Cheung)
Email : [email protected]
Address : 22/F, K.Wah Centre, 191 Java Road, North Point